top of page
  • Bulldogs Hockey

Bulldogs Punch Ticket to the State Finals

The Canton Bulldogs took on the Bishop Feehan Shamrocks at the John Gallo Arena for D2 South Championship. For the Bulldogs senior class, it would be their last game ever at Gallo. This rink is very special to Canton High School hockey because it is filled with so many high school and youth hockey memories. But for this game, win or lose, it would be the last time the seniors skated over “The Bridge.” Canton and Bishop Feehan had a previous duel in the regular season, the Bulldogs came out on top in a 7-1 victory. However, this game, just like the last three was different. It was a new team they were playing and they needed a new game plan. The team stressed all playoffs that every game is different from the last and each building the boys play in will attract a new crowd and be filled with a different type of atmosphere. The stakes were as high and Canton was locked in and ready to give it all they had. In the first period, the Bulldogs showed positivity on offense gaining many opportunities to score but the Feehan goalie held his ground and played very strong in net. Down the other end Cammarata was a mirror image stopping everything in his path. It took just under two periods for the tie to be broken when senior captain John Hagan snuck past the defense after chipping the puck to create a self pass and breakaway opportunity in which he buried five holes to get the crowd on their feet. The Bulldogs had the momentum for just a few moments until the Shamrocks answered on the powerplay on a shot that found its way through from the far hashmark on the right side circle. Both teams went into the locker room with one goal a piece. Next was the biggest period of the season for both teams, whoever won it would win the game and move on to the State Championship. The third period was intense for both sides until Hagan eased the nerves for the Canton fans with his second goal after getting to a loose puck and snapping a shot past the goalie. The Bulldogs felt like they were in control and were confident in their ability to win the game. Soon after his second goal, Hagan picked a defender's pocket and froze the goalie with a shot that scratched the back of the netting and swallowed Bishop Feehan’s hopes of playing in the State Championship. Hagan added his fourth goal of the game with an empty net to put them away for good and earned the Bulldogs’ ticket to the TD Garden. The Bulldogs will go to battle one more time Sunday evening to take on Lincoln Sudbury in the Division 2 state championship.

162 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page